People often ask me what I use for finishing my floors. My answer is: It depends. It depends on the floor, the clients, the expected use, and the look. I never have and never will stick to only one brand of finish and one product. Much like I would not have all my power tools of the same brand. I pick and choose the best product for the application.
In my last post I showed photos of a hand-scraped job being finished with tung oil. So, why do I like tung oil?
• Easy to apply. This has always been my first reason for using a product.
• I can tint it with stains and dyes.
• I can topcoat it with other finishes.
• It looks richer than surface-finished.
• It is a penetrating oil.
• It needs no abrasion between coats.
• It does not raise the grain.
These are just a few reasons. How are those reasons translate into reality? Here are some examples:
I have a lot of finishing techniques in my arsenal: dewaxed shellac, oil modified, water base, stains, dyes, glazes, oils, brushing, T-bar, rolling, buffing on and the list goes on. Tung oil is one of many finishes a floor finisher should know. You never know what your next awesome job is going to require, so keep an open mind.